WLYC 2014 Summer Recap
Another busy summer has come and is almost gone. We still have sailing races on Sunday/Monday Labor Day weekend, the Fish and Weeds Regatta at Brown's Lake on September 6, our Fall meeting later in September and the Buoy Removal in early October. Here's a quick recap of the fun we enjoyed this summer.
• June 14 -Flotilla. This is where several pontoon boats are tied together for an evening of welcoming each other back to the lake for the summer. It's a great way to get to know new members while enjoying drinks and hors d'oeuvres, watching the sun set in the West bay. This year the 30 in attendance retreated to the calmer waters of Party Cove, due to a very windy evening on the water.
• July 4th – Our Commodore, Greg Pierce and family, managed the Yacht Club float in the Wonder Lake July 4th parade.
• July 5th – Venetian Night which is sponsored by the Yacht Club for the entire community to enjoy. We had 5 volunteer judges from different lake locations and the winners were:
1st place – The Olympic themed boat by Dolores D'Adamo, daughter Diane Bieniarz and grand daughter, Addy and Tim Kohlstat.
2nd place – Stars N Stripes, RWB lights with lighted American flag by Bob and Pam Razicka
3rd place – The Pirate Boat by Rick Berndt.
• July 12th – Open Regatta for any sailing vessel was canceled due to stormy weather.
• July 12th – Member Appreciation Party was held later that day, with the threat of pending storms. Party location was changed from Shore Hill Park to the Gallo's home where we had a very good turnout of members. We were not able to have the croquet tournament as planned, but did proceed with the Ravinia theme. Singer entertainer, Jack Eiler, gave us a great show while we enjoyed dinner and drinks all free to Yacht Club members.
• August 9th – Pontoon Progressive Dinner Party. Beautiful weather was enjoyed by all for this well attended event. Always the big event of the summer. This year's theme was “Jimmy Buffet at the Lake”. We started out at the far South East end of the lake with appetizers at Karen Lavin's home. Next stop was our catered dinner (from Birchwood Hall) at Dennis and Jeannie Gallo's. Our final stop was at the far North West end of the lake at Jack and Cindy Giba's.
• August 24th – A farewell party was held for Randy and Bonnie Watkins who will be moving to Florida soon. Randy is a long time C-scow sailor in our yacht club and was this year's co-Fleet Captain. Bonnie was the Social Chairperson for many years. Randy was recently diagnosed with ALS. We hope they enjoy a sunny and warm winter. We will miss them both.